I SWEAR by these zucchini chips to be the most delicious and crispiest ones I have ever tried. Pop these in the oven for the perfect baked treat.
Yeah yeah, there are a million zucchini fries and chips recipes out there, I know. There’s good reason for that. They are straight up yummy and a texture aficionado’s love. I hope you give my version a try and see for yourself how my secret trick to breading these babies makes a difference.
Come summer, zucchini is flying off the shelves in the grocery store, and for good reason. Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable and can be used in so many ways. Growing up, my grandparents had a ton of zucchini in their home garden. I’ll be sure to share some of my Nanny’s recipes later on in this blog, but for now they will stay tucked in my heart. For all the ways zucchini can be used, crunchy fries and chips are definitely my favorite way of using up these babies.
These are a perfect appetizer, dinner side, or a “treat yo’self” snack.
I’m not going to lie to you and say these things take no time at all, because let’s be honest- if you have breaded anything, you know this is a little time consuming. Trust me though, IT’S WORTH IT!
I’ve also managed to figure out a time saving trick! I’ve recently started putting the flour and egg mixture into two separate baggies. Then, I’ll toss in the zucchini and shake them around until coated. Try it out and let me know if the process was less painful for you!
Just look at how golden…. yum.
The secret trick is to add olive oil to the breadcrumb mixture which ensures every single piece is coated with oil, creating the crunchiest zucchini chips.
These taste delicious on their own but I will never say no to dipping these in a good ‘ol sauce.
Made too much? Don’t toss- just refrigerate and reheat in the oven at 400℉ for 10 minutes! These babies will be just as crisp as they were fresh out of the oven the first time.
Crispy Zucchini Chips
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb), sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425℉ and lay parchment paper or cooling rack on baking sheet
- Cut zucchini into ¼ inch slices
- Mix flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper together and pour into a large Ziploc bag (NOTE: You may also pour this mixture into a shallow dish to dip each piece individually)
- In a separete dish, beat eggs
- In another shallow dish, combine Panko, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil
- Working in batches, throw zucchini into the bag of flour mix and shake 'er up, ensuring every piece is coated in flour
- Working one by one, shake off excess flour then dip each piece into the egg mixture, coating both sides
- Letting the egg drip off a little bit, coat each piece generously in the breadcrumb mix Don't be afraid to go a little crazy here- the more crumbs the crunchier the bite
- Place coated zucchini onto the pan or cooling rack and bake for 22-25 minutes, just until cooked through and golden on top. Flip halfway through to get golden bits on both sides.
Let me know what you thought of this recipe!