This mango avocado salsa is no fuss, quick, and…. well easy. Pair this up with some tortilla chips or use it to add some extra special flavor on tacos!
How to make Mango Avocado Salsa
If you’ve read my Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa recipe, you pretty much know this is as easy as it gets. 5 ingredients, roughly 15 minutes, and a whole lot of flavor! All you need is:
- 1 large and ripe mango
- 2 small (or 1 large) avocados
- 1/2 medium-large red onion
- 1/2 lime
- Fresh cilantro
How to tell if a mango is ripe
To be honest, I wouldn’t have been able to answer this question a few months ago, because I truthfully didn’t have a clue. There are a few ways to tell if a mango is ripe:
- The color of a very unripe mango will be mostly kinda green. This color will change just a bit during ripening. A ripe mango will be orange and red, but can still definitely have some green to it. Don’t solely judge ripeness by the color
- A ripe mango should have just a tiny bit of “give” to it. If you have experience feeling for ripeness of an avocado or a peach, you will use that same judgement for mangoes
- An unripe mango will be firm. A mango is ready when it has just a little bit of softness to it
- If you turn the mango over, you will find the stem area. Give that a little sniff. A ripe mango that is ready to use will smell nice and sweet!
How to cut a mango
In the center of a mango is a large seed. To cut around this, slice the two sides of the mango from the center off, so you are left with 3 large slices. You will know when you’ve hit the seeded area as your knife won’t be able to go through it. From here, you can either peel (if it’s ripe enough) the skin off of the mango, or gently slide your knife underneath the flesh to take it off. Repeat on the other side, then cut mango into chunks. For the center piece (with the seed in it), cut off as much mango flesh as you are able.
I love this recipe the way it is, however, feel free to mix and match! I love being able to customize recipes and I hope you use this recipe the way it is or let me know in the comments how you’ve altered it!
Easiest Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 large mango , cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 small (or 1 large) avocados , cut into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ red onion , diced small
- ½ Tbsp fresh cilantro , chopped fine
- juice of ½ lime
- Cut mango into ½ inch pieces and add to large bowl
- Cut avocado into ¼ inch pieces and add to bowl
- Dice ½ red onion into small pieces and add to bowl
- Finely chop fresh cilantro and add to bowl
- Pour juice of ½ lime over everything in the bowl and gently toss
- Cover tightly and refrigerate or use immediately