Oh yes, let’s talk about lemons! These bright and zesty lemon poppy seed muffins are here to brighten up your summer!
Lemons are what I run off of in the kitchen. It’s by far my favorite ingredient to use, whether using it as the main flavor or just a dash to brighten up a meal.
You will come to find lemons, and all other citrus fruits, will be a huge theme on my blog and in my recipes. So if you are like me and love those tangy, sweet flavors of citrus, I think you will find a home here!
Let’s talk about these lemon poppy seed muffins now!
These are the perfect morning or afternoon bite. Lemon zest and fresh lemon juice pack all the flavor, while the poppy seeds and perfect muffin top bring the crunch.
I worked so hard on perfecting these muffins from the inside out that I literally had dreams about making them two nights in a row.
The inside is moist, slightly dense, and crumbly, while the muffin top has that perfect crunch you will find at your favorite bakery. A match made in heaven if you ask me.
Do NOT over mix your batter. I am warning you, I am begging you, and I am telling you that muffins of any kind will turn out terrible if they are over mixed. Trust me, I’ve made this mistake before and I had to throw a dozen of muffins in the trash. Over mixing will lead to super dry and dense muffins. It is not pretty. Again.. DO NOT OVER MIX! 🙂
The trick to getting that perfect muffin top is to bake at a high temperature for a short period of time, then keeping the muffins in the oven, turn down the temperature to slowly decrease the temp.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups flour , spooned and leveled
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 eggs , room temperature
- ½ cup butter , melted and cooled to room temperature
- ¾ cup sour cream , room temperature
- ¼ cup milk , room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425℉ and line 12 count muffin pan with liners
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and whisk together remaining wet ingredients
- In the flour bowl, create a well in the center of the flour mixture, then pour wet ingredients into the center well
- Using a silicone spatula, mix the wet and dry ingredients together JUST until it's mostly combined together *
- Fill each liner or cup to the top with batter and place on the center rack of your oven
- Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then keeping the muffins in the oven, turn down the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 15-17 minutes until a skewer or tooth pick comes out clean
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let them rest in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling
Topping ideas for lemon poppy seed muffins:
- Lemon glaze
- Lemon sugar
- Nada because these are delicious on their own!
Tried these out? Let me know below!