This Lemony Shrimp Pasta is truly one of the best dinners I have ever made, aside from my salmon burgers. It’s light, packed with lemon flavor, and takes literally 15 minutes to make. Need I say more?
This recipe was adapted from Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Lemon Walnut Pasta’ found here: https://cravingsbychrissyteigen.com/cravings/lemon-and-walnut-pasta/. I’ve left out the walnuts (but feel free to add them in because I’m sure they would taste amazing in this!) and added shrimp to the mix.
I’ve made this Lemony Shrimp Pasta a few different ways- mostly playing around with the ‘cream’ base and shrimp seasonings. Some of these adaptations I did in a hurry since I quickly realized I didn’t have heavy cream in the fridge!
If you don’t have heavy cream hanging around or it went bad, no worries! I usually always have canned coconut milk in my pantry and definitely recommend you do the same! You can substitute the heavy cream with canned coconut milk or with a milk and butter mix. For the milk and butter route- whisk 3/4 cup of milk and 1/4 melted (and cooled) butter together. This usually does the trick, but you may need to add a little bit of flour in for thickness.
If your sauce separates and looks beyond weird after you’ve combined the cream and lemon, whisk in 1 tablespoon really well into the sauce. I’ve ran into this issue on numerous occasions, especially when I’m subbing with milk and butter, and it has always brought it back together.
A note on shrimp:
Shrimp cooks up super fast so this recipe will come together in no time regardless. However, I have recently been buying frozen pre-cooked shrimp and it works just as well. I do find that frozen shrimp tends to release a lot of water during reheating, so if you use the frozen method, add the seasoning just a little bit later on so it doesn’t get washed away.
Lemony Shrimp Pasta
- 6 oz shrimp
- ½ tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 oz angel hair or thin spaghetti (measured dry)
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp + ¼ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese , grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- red pepper flakes , to taste, optional
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to the box. Drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water and set aside
- Season shrimp with ¼ tsp lemon juice and ½ tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- Heat avocado oil in large pan and cook shrimp until pink and opaque, about 4-6 minutes and flipping halfway through, then set aside
- Adding another Tbsp of oil, cook garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes
- Whisk in heavy cream, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Continue to gently mix until sauce has thickened *
- Once sauce is done, add in cooked pasta and shrimp and gently combine together
- Sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on top with red pepper flakes and enjoy!
- If it is still too thin or liquid has separated, add in some reserved pasta water, about 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency