Next time you are in search of a delicious lunch idea that you can easily meal prep, try this southwest turkey salad! Made with a delicious homemade avocado lime dressing that will turn anyone into a salad person.
What kind of lunch person are you? Hot meal, salad, just a snack, or skip it all together? I admit I’m all of the above and it truly depends on my mood and how my day is going so far. I’ve recently been eating salads non-stop and honestly it’s pretty fun experimenting with them!
Very weird fact about me- growing up, my grandparents would take me to a buffet on Sundays for breakfast and the first thing I’d get? A salad from the salad bar….. lol.
Note about salads:
Salads are super customizable, easy to prep, and if done right, delicious! There are people out in the world who truly believe salads are boring and it’s my goal to change their minds! A salad should have a few things to be successful.
- Good greens. I believe Romaine lettuce has a time and place, but it shouldn’t be your go-to for salad bases. I recommend a spinach, kale, and arugula blend.
- A ‘bitey’ flavor. Most of the time this is where cheese comes in. I love to use goat cheese or feta for a nice tang.
- Crunch. This is honestly one of the most important and influential ingredients that will bring your salad from bore to amazing. Play around with different crunchy ingredients and you’ll see what I mean.
What’s in this Southwest Turkey Salad
In this Southwest Turkey Salad we have taco seasoned turkey, black beans, cherry tomatoes, Mexican cheese, and crushed sweet potato tortilla chips. I also recommend adding in bell peppers and corn for some extra veggies and crunch!
For the dressing, I used Gimme Delicious ‘Healthy Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing’ and it is AMAZING. You can find the recipe for the dressing here: https://gimmedelicious.com/creamy-avocado-cilantro-lime-dressing/.
Southwest Turkey Salad
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , quartered
- ⅓ cup mexican cheese
- 1 can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 bag tortilla chips , crushed
- 11 oz salad greens
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado lime dressing
- Heat avocado oil in pan and add in ground turkey, breaking it up into little chunks
- Once turkey is almost cooked through, add in taco seasoning according to package
- Cut tomatoes into quarters. Season tomatoes and black beans with salt and pepper
- Drain any excess juice from turkey. In a large bowl, add in salad greens, tomatoes, cheese, cooked turkey, black beans, and crushed chips. Make dressing according to recipe and drizzle on when ready to eat!